As Parents, we are praised for our sacrifice. Our exhaustion seen as a badge of honor in this season of sleepless nights. Self Care is thrown to the wayside or pushed to the back burner. Parents don’t practice Self Care.
Contrary to these beliefs everyone, especially parents need self care. When you pour from your cup without refilling it’s bound to run dry. You can’t pour from an empty cup, so parents should fill their cup everyday so that we’re able to care for our children with patience, kindness, and love. Now when I say self care, I don’t mean a facial and pedicure ( although those would be amazing right about now). I am talking about changes that can be made in your daily life to take care of yourself inside and out. See 7 ways to care for yourself without a day trip to the spa.
- Exercise- There’s a reason they recommend exercising 60 minutes a day. Moving your body not only lowers your cholesterol and improves circulation, it improves your reaction to stress and boosts your mood. It’s an amazing way to take care of your body and mind. The best part? You can do it from the comfort of your own home with your kids.
- Drink More Water- I know everyone says to drink more water.. But they’re right. Not getting enough water can cause irritability and a decrease in brain function… So that simple problem has become harder to solve and it’s making you angrier by the second. Don’t like water? Try it sparkling, with fruit, or settle in with some herbal tea. Anything to get hydrated and fell great.
- Sit Outside- Sunshine and fresh air are actually more beneficial than you think. Catching some rays will ramp up the production of Vitamin D and serotonin, while fresh air is shown to raise your immune system. Relaxing in the sun for less sick days and a better mood? Sounds like an easy way to care for yourself.
- Turn on your favorite Song- Music can be a quick mood booster, a way to help you focus, or something to get you to sleep at night. However you use it, you’ll love reaping the health benefits from your favorite playlist.
- Wake up Early- While waking up before your kids isn’t always possible, when you do have the chance it’s like a vacation. It’s quiet, your coffee is fresh, and you have the opportunity to finish it before it gets cold. Your whole family will benefit from you getting a chance to wake up and get yourself in a good mood before everyone starts their day.
- Practice Gratitude- It’s easy to feel discouraged and like you’re not doing enough. Especially when you compare your life to what you see at the surface of the lives of others. Finding 3 things you are grateful for everyday will help put you in a positive mindset where you are thankful for what you have and give yourself recognition for the things you do.
- Take a Bath– Still wanting the spa-like self care that’s all over social media? Take a cup of baking soda and add it to a bath. The baking soda will soften the water and give you a bath bomb like soak. Go the extra mile and light a candle too.
Let me know how you take care of yourself below. If you are looking for more advice to survive days where you just cant, listen to the latest episode of Mountain Wild Podcast. Have a great rest of your week. Stay wild!